Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chapter 5: “Middle School”


I was quite different in middle school as I am now, or as I was in elementary school. Many things changed, but I think I changed the most. For one, my choice of music evolved immensely. Up until this point, my 13-year-old self only really listened to whatever anyone else put on the radio or in the Walkman but I soon learned that I had the ability to choose and enjoy all types of music that fit my personality. Snow Patrol, The Fray, My Chemical Romance and Paramore were top favorites then. I was privileged enough to live in a household where we were kind of open to a lot of things. The first clue that I’d want to be involved and surrounded by music for the rest of my life was when Showbread, a unique ever-changing-music-genre-but-mainly-staying-between-rock-alternative-and-post-hardcore-always-passionate band showed up on the scene.
Getting ready for another day of school, I walked downstairs into the kitchen to abruptly come to a stop as I saw this strange guy standing there talking on the phone; I look into the living room and see a handful of guys sleeping on the couch and sprawled out on the floor. I slowly backpedaled into my mom’s bedroom to ask what the heck was going on. Confused and a bit nervous I anticipated her answer. She explained that last night Skyler and Tucker had gone to a show, a music concert, and had watched a favorite band of theirs, Showbread, put on a good set. As good fans do, they stayed behind to talk with the musicians, and the topic of sleeping arrangements came up. Skyler found out that they would end up sleeping in their van, but out of the kindness of her heart she offered them our house. As she went to get the okay from our mom, she couldn’t believe that she’d let 7 tattooed and pierced boys into our home. But evidently she did, because they were in our living room the next morning. That was how it all started and ever since then, every time Showbread was in town, they’d always have a place to stay in our house and our hearts. As bands toured with them, we’d have an extra few on the couches and around the floor with them. It was always an experience and always filled with laughter and late night stories.
One event, that launched my love and unique taste for music, besides the meeting and falling in love with the people who made up Showbread, was the Cornerstone Music Festival in 2006. Thanks to our ties with Showbread, we had a huge reason to be there that year. Held in the middle of nowhere, Bushnell, Illinois, corn surrounding for miles, were huge red and white tents where the bands would perform through out the festival. Thousands of smaller tents to sleep in littered the camp ground and hundreds of campers ranging in all sizes were lined up, owned by all the festival goers that just couldn’t rough it. It was an experience like no other. Seeing thousands of people crammed together like sardines all sweaty and jumping up and down, fist or voice or both raised high in the air to cheer and chant and sing along with the band’s that preformed, changed my life forever. I knew that one day, I either wanted to be in that crowed again, up on that stage, or at least be contributing to Cornerstone in an impacting way. There was nothing like it, the lyrics screaming and singing at you as the bass and guitar and drums play along, moving you, and the atmosphere and emotion in the air as you watched in awe at the brilliant musicians who could hold your attention for hours if only they were aloud.
            Not only were the sets amazing, but there was so much more to do than just watch your favorite artists play music, although that was the main attraction. There was a skate park that was full through out the whole day, along with basketball courts and the refreshing, cool lake. It was a trek to get there, up a huge hill and a couple miles of road to walk or bike, but once you reached the people filled lake it was a victory. I still remember the scene upon reaching it the second night I was there. Lights set in the sand light up the shoreline, along with beach balls scattered around, and hundreds upon hundreds of people hanging out. I remember Cornerstone fondly, and in times of drought it keeps my passion for music, the people involved in music and shows alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment