Thursday, April 18, 2013

Four-leaf Clovers


Today, for the first time, i found a four-leaf clover. 
In fact, i found three.
All thanks to my sweet friend, Cari. 


We talked about four-leaf clovers and how they're so rare, special. Their rarity makes them special, makes them unique. 
We talked about how my initial thoughts of four-leaf clovers were thoughts of how pretty i assumed they were. But then once i found my first one, and second and third, i realized that was not the case. I realized, and voiced that they didn't need to be pretty, or beautiful, because they themselves were rare and special, their appearance doesn't make them special, but what they are makes them special and rare. Not one is the same as another. And i couldn't help but make the connection between four-leaf clovers, and the people i've come to love and cherish. 

Son's and daughter's of the Most High, they are special and rare, not one is the same. Their Father is the one who has made them special, by being His alone. Their outward appearances dont matter. Their abilities and talents dont make them unique. Their birthplace doesn't matter. 
The only thing that gives them their uniqueness, their rarity, is that The Lord has adopted them. 
We are nothing outside of Him. Outside of the holiness He has clothed us with, we are worthless. 

Cari told me that now that i've seen my first one, i'll be able to spot more, more often. I pray that i see more often than not, God's children as special and rare, unique and holy. I pray i see them with grace, because as i started walking around, i started trying avoid the clusters of clover, hoping i wouldn't step on, and ruin in the process, the four-leaf clovers. I started watching my steps and walking more gracefully. 



We went out to do some garden things and got lost in adventure.
I proceeded to ask Cari to be my model for an assignment i had for one of my photography classes. 
She climbed on a log, and we exchanged the corniest of jokes.





















We found a hollowed out tree trunk, and Cari, like the adventurer she is, climbed right down in it. 
























My photography project is about where you see yourself after you graduate. I do not see myself as Cari when i graduate, though i do want one aspect of Cari to stay with me until the Lord welcomes me home. I want to remember the joy and sheer excitement of adventure and wonder. I want to constantly know what it feels like to scrape my leg on some thorns, or a branch, as i walk through a forest thinking about all of the possibilities that could take place between the trees. I want to continue to imagine and hold wonder in the palm of my hands. I want to never cease to use my imagination. I want to talk about how the clouds will always resemble castles to me, and i want to remember the first time i picked up a four-leaf clover, and remember the uniqueness and rarity they hold. I still want to be amazed when i look up at the night sky, the stars sparkling as they shine. I want adventure and wonder, amazement and my imagination to last through my high school diploma, as it has, and endure my college diplome, as i hope it will, and out last the terrors and tragedies of this world. 



This whole afternoon, these snippets of moments forever engraved in my mind, are unique and rare. 
These memories are four-leaf clovers. Forever cherished and special. 






















I read off of wikipedia that "it has been estimated that there are approximately 10,000 three-leaf clovers for every four-leaf clover."

Cari, you are one of the rare ones. You are a four-leaf clover.

No comments:

Post a Comment